- Building Services
- Alternative Energy
- Existing System Analysis
- Markets We Serve
APEX offers top-quality inspections to protect and strengthen the integrity of existing systems and structures. With training and practical experience, third party inspectors can effectively and efficiently ensure that the quality requirements of the owner’s coating specifications, the manufacturer’s coating system application, and the requirements derived from the specified industries quality standards are met and exceeded. Our goal is to assist you with the protection and lifespan extension of your valuable asset.
NACE-Certified Coating Inspections
APEX’s NACE International trained and certified inspectors utilize a comprehensive assortment of state-of-the-art test instruments and equipment to both verify and document compliance with your asset’s specific requirements. To inhibit corrosion and add a protective barrier against the elements, we offer coating inspections for a wide range of structures, including:
Petroleum and chemical storage (above ground storage tanks)
Natural gas transmission piping (under & above ground pipe line)
Paper manufacturing (process machinery & raw product storage)
Wastewater Treatment (clarifiers & aeration containment)
Water storage (potable water tanks)
Marine (tug boat)
Our coatings inspections help to extend the life of an asset and prevent breakdowns, as well as provide quality assurance by raising contractor awareness of manufacturer specifications. Proper coatings also aid the environment by preventing unwanted corrosion and hazardous chemical leaks. We will specify coating systems for application, ensure the correct coating thickness, oversee surface preparation, and more.
Following the Industry’s Best Guidelines
APEX proudly conducts third-party coating inspections that comply with NACE and SSPC (The Society for Protective Coatings) best practices. Our inspections also comply with ASTM standards. Coupled with solid project specification, the inspection process helps to avert premature coating system failure and minimize conflict between owner and contractor.
Typical Inspection Duties
- High-voltage holiday testing (ASTM D5162)
- Coating adhesion testing
- Chloride testing
- Wet sponge holiday testing
- Confirm atmospheric weather conditions are within the specified tolerances
- Check that contamination and structural defects have been removed from the base prior to surface preparation operations
- Confirm the surface preparation and coatings application equipment are adequate to produce the desired results taking in consideration the project scope and conditions of work
- Confirm the surface preparation is achieving the specified results with respect to cleanliness and surface roughness
- Analyze whether the coatings are properly applied in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and specification requirements
- Check the coatings system has been applied to the specified dry film thickness and is free from unallowable defects
APEX administers quality inspections for petroleum vessels in accordance with API-653 (American Petroleum Institute) regulations and standards. Our expert team determines a vessel’s fitness for service by analyzing metal thickness, structural integrity, floor condition, and more. We will also determine remaining life-cycle for the vessel and provide insight for lifespan extension.
APEX applies some of the same techniques for these inspections to pipe analysis.
Typical Inspection Duties
- In-service tank inspections
- Out-of-service tank inspections
- Foundation settlement
- Corrosion evaluations
- Coating inspections, including holiday testing
Solar System Inspections
To help our clients effectively manage their solar energy usage, APEX offers solar system inspections to ensure their system is outputting the expected amount of energy. APEX’s PV system analysis looks at various factors of the PV system, including:
Annual production estimates
Panel efficiency comparisons
We also offer String I-V Curve Tracing to assess the performance of a PV module or array. This tool reveals how much power a particular solar panel generates as well as the achieved reduction in CO2 emissions. Our team can also check PV systems with thermal imaging tests.
Get in touch with us today to learn more and to schedule your inspection.